BREAKFAST CLUB


  Would you believe me if I said that the moment that I rekindled my love for a delicious morning meal was when I initially embarked on my weightless journey? Well, It’s true! I have recently discovered that ‘diet food’ by no means has to be dull and restrictive, and this is especially true for breakfast.  


  I am captivated by the endless possibilities that breakfast can bring to the table- excuse the pun. It is the most versatile meal due to the capability it has to quench everyone’s needs, from those needing a quick on-the-go fix, to those who enjoy some relaxing alone time, to an Instagrammer’s paradise. 


  In fact, I have actually found that introducing more invigorating and pleasurable breakfasts into my diet has assisted me on my weight-loss journey because my body feels exceedingly satisfied, and therefore I have been less likely to snack throughout the day. 


  You can of course opt for the typical breakfasts: protein/cereal bar, fruit and yoghurt, anything on toast, but let's make mornings more bearable. Think of the basics: toast, cereal, yoghurt, oats, fruit, eggs, and then, think of how you can amplify them to their greatest potential. 


  With this in mind, today I’m going to be sharing my favourite, low calorie, healthy breakfast ideas with you. Just click on the meal and you will be directed to my Instagram page with the recipe (I have also added links to the products on websites). 


PROTEIN POWDER 


  Once I had lost the bulk of the extra weight that I was lugging around with me, I began to find it tougher to lose the final few lbs. I found that increasing my protein intake, by including Protein Powder into my breakfasts, resulted in my hunger levels decreasing and I stayed fuller for longer, thus meaning that it was easier to stay within a calorie deficit. 


  I order my protein powder from MyProtein (they always have good discounts on). I tend to buy their sample sachets of Impact Whey Protein (Cinnamon Danish, Vanilla, Cookies and Cream, Chocolate Orange, Mocha- to name a few favourites) so that I can try out different flavours.  


  You’ll notice throughout this post that a lot of the meals contain Protein Powder (batters, smoothies, mixed into 0% Fat Greek Yoghurt), but you can easily leave this ingredient out if it’s not your thing, or to lower the calories. 


BREAD


  For many of us bread can be a huge ‘fear food’, probably due to the dominant macronutrient being
carbohydrate, you can, however, eat bread while still losing weight. You can eat anything you want, in moderation, as long as you remain in a calorie deficit!


Below are some of my favourite, lower calorie, bread options that I like to enjoy at breakfast time (calories per slice): 

  You can knock together something quite special with bread and bagels too such as French Toast, or you
can even go all out and raid the spread stash! 

  AND, just when you thought it couldn't get any better... you can create a beautiful Quorn Sausage Patty (127kcal) masterpiece with a Sainsbury's Wholemeal Roll (132kcal). This is my absolute favourite treat for a Weekend Brunch! 

PROTEIN YOGHURT


  Despite how they are typically more calorific than your standard yoghurts, yoghurts that are higher in protein tend to be more filling (and satisfy your macros). 


Some of my favourites (protein): 

  • Arla Protein Yoghurts- Passionfruit and Papaya is my favourite! (20g)
  • Aldi’s Brooklea Protein Yoghurt (25g)
  • Ísey Skyr (16g) - The Baked Apple flavour is insane!
  • Graham’s (22g protein)
  • Fage 0% Fat Greek-Style Yoghurt (10g / 100g)

And for a happy Gut (calories):

CEREAL 


  When I first began calorie counting I became ‘smarter’ with my eating habits, and consequently I became more conscious with how I would 'spend' my calorie allowance. One of my major pet peeves was, believe it or not, surrounding the calories and (lack of) nutrients in cereals. So that was it. I was on the hunt for a cereal that was calorie counting friendly, nourishing, and filling. 


  I love playing around with different combinations at the moment. By altering the cereal, yoghurt, or the fruit combination you can have a fresh, new breakfast every time. This is a perfect breakfast, or even a perfect snack, for the warmer mornings ahead!

   I have discovered that Morrisons have discontinued their Puffed Wheat cereal, which was my original go-to, but thankfully Sainsbury’s have their own version too (70p for 160g). You can have the most generous bowlful of Puffed Wheat for little calories, goodbye portion control, and I love to serve mine with Soya Milk, smooth Peanut Butter, and a selection of fresh berries. 

  In the past month I have been more mindful with food in order to improve my gut health. One of the first products that I introduced into my diet was this Prebiotic Cereal (£2.99 for 380g). This cereal is most flavoursome, in my opinion, when partnered with yoghurt and fresh fruit. Each spoonful of this breakfast contains a delightful burst of flavour, and a pleasing contrast of textures between the smooth yoghurt and crunchy cereal. 


OATS 

(The calories for this breakfast can range from 250kcal - 400kcal depending on your toppings. Wholegrain Rolled Quaker Oats 150kcal for 40g, MyProtein Vanilla Whey Powder 102kcal for 25g)

  1. Add your Oats into a pan (or microwave), with the amount of water/milk that the packet instructs you to do so. 
  2. In the meantime, add the Protein Powder into a bowl and add a splash of water/milk. Stir until you have formed a paste. 
  3. Once the Proats have thickened add in the paste, and anything else you desire, and allow to cook on a low heat. 
  4. Stir occasionally until you have your desired consistency. Add more liquid if required. 
  5. Transfer the Proats into your bowl and finish off with your toppings of choice: yoghurt, fruit, nuts, seeds. 
  By adding in different flavours of MyProtein Powder you can create many creative, themed, Proat bowls. Some of my favourite bowls have been: 
    • Cookies and Cream (Oreo)
    • Carrot Cake 
    • Chocolate Orange 
    • Mocha 
    • Cinnamon Danish 
    • Apple Crumble and Custard 

  These recipes are extremely, probably the most, convenient as they can be prepped the night before and stored in the fridge. This will save time for a busy morning the following day, while ensuring you stay on-track. 


  Again, both these recipes are versatile and can be adapted to your taste preference, just like the Proats, by adding and removing ingredients, while following the base recipe. You can also tailor the recipes to fit around your weight-loss plan by altering your choice of toppings (fruit, spreads, yoghurt), this will ultimately increase or decrease the calories. 


BLITZ OATS INTO FLOUR 


  Who said that Oats have to be boring? Pop your Oats into a blender, give them a quick blitz, and there you have it, a whole new ingredient with new endless possibilities: Oat Flour! Transforming your Oats into Oat Flour means that you can enjoy typically higher-calorie recipes, but without the extra calories and guilt. 


  Two of my most recent favourites that I have made using Oat Flour are: Protein Pancakes, and Protein Waffles- hello Sunday brunch vibes! 


CHIA SEEDS (154kcal for 35g)


  While we’re on the boujee breakfasts- if you’d say Oat Flour is boujee, it would be rude not to give Chia Seeds a little shout out. 

  They are fab and affordable little, low carbohydrate high fat, seeds that can be sprinkled over lots of breakfasts: oats, yoghurt, toast. But, you can also have them by themselves in a Chia Pudding. 


  It’s in the name really. ‘Pudding'. This breakfast literally tastes like pudding. Like the Overnight Oats you can prep this breakfast in advance before assembling it the following morning. The seeds absorb whatever liquid they’re left in (Soya, Almond, Coconut) and really take in that flavour. 


EGGS 


How do you like your eggs in the morning? I like mine in numerous ways! 


  Egg’s are a fantastic breakfast ingredient because they can be low in calories (approx 17kcal per one egg white), and are a great source of protein, while still remaining low in carbohydrates. Eggs are adaptable and can be served in innumerable ways. 

  • Poached or scrambled on toast (see the bread in the section above)
  • Omelette 
  • Muffins 
  • Wrap (Egg wraps don't get the credit that they deserve. You can still enjoy a 'wrap' for breakfast, or lunch, but without the added carbs from bread.)

  If eggs on their own aren’t quite substantial enough for you, then why not accompany the dishes above with a little extra? Plum Tomatoes in Natural Juices, Baked Beans, Spaghetti Hoops, Avocado (Meat-Free) Sausages. 


PROTEIN SMOOTHIE (BOWL) (250kcal max)


  With Summer looming I think it’s time for us to get in-touch with our exotic side and get a serious hit of Vitamin C. 


  You can pick up an adequate blender for a reasonable price (I use the Breville Blend Active or NutriBullet), and the ingredients don’t have to be costly either. Have you got fresh fruit that’s on the turn and looking a bit worse for wear? Chuck it in your blender, along with some frozen fruit smoothie mix, Spinach, 0% Fat Yoghurt, and Oats. 


  If you’re in need of a Protein-hit too then you can add in a scoop of Protein Powder. 


---------


If you want any further breakfast inspo then head over to my Instagram page, @_healthyhann, for more recipes. 


Comments

Popular Posts